The Miracle of Green Tea
This friend of mine very fond of sending emails to me. Everyday my mailbox will be flooded with his forwarded emails. But today I noticed one email from him which I feel everyone of us could share the knowledge it carries. It is about The Green Tea. It might change our perceptions towards tea after reading this.
Here it goes.....
Unfermented green tea leaves has many benefits that human need for a healthy life. There are four primary polyphenols in green tea and they are often collectively referred to as catechins. Powerful antioxidants, catechins have been shown in recent studies to fight viruses, slow aging, and have a beneficial effect on health. Clinical tests have shown that catechins destroy free radicals and have far-reaching positive effects on the entire body.
Note: Free radicals are highly reactive molecules and fragments of molecules that can damage the body at the cellular level leaving the body susceptible to cancer, heart disease and other degenerative diseases.
Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), an antioxidant found in green tea, is at least 100 times more effective than vitamin C and 25 times more effective than vitamin E at protecting cells and DNA from damage believed to be linked to cancer, heart disease and other serious illnesses. This antioxidant has twice the benefits of resveratrol, found in red wine.
Special Benefits of Green Tea
- Reduces high blood pressure. Drinking green tea represses angiotensin II (angiotensin II leads to high blood pressure)
- Lowers blood sugar. Green tea polyphenols and polysaccharides are effective in lowering blood sugar.
- Fights cancer. There have been many studies that have shown that green tea catechins are effective at preventing cancer. University of Purdue researchers recently concluded that a compound in green tea inhibits the growth of cancer cells. Citizens of Uji and Shizuoka in Japan, where most green tea in Japan is harvested, have among the lowest rates of cancer in the world. They drink more high quality green tea, per capita, than residents of any other region in Japan.
- Lower Cholesterol level. There is also research indicating that drinking green tea lowers total cholesterol levels, as well as improving the ratio of good (HDL) cholesterol to bad (LDL) cholesterol.
- Boost Immune system. This is possible due to its high concentrations of polyphenols and flavenoids.
- Cardiovascular Disease. Several large studies have suggested that drinking green tea reduces the risk of stroke and coronary artery disease, although results are mixed.
- Weight Loss. Some studies suggest that drinking green tea or taking green tea extract pills can increase metabolism and help to burn fat.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis. Antioxidants in green tea may prevent and reduce the severity of rheumatoid arthritis, according to a study from CWRU's School of Medicine study.
So, lets drink a cup (or two) green tea starting today, but remember NO SUGAR!
Anyway the above information might not be accurate, some of the suggestions has not been supported by scientific evidences, but I don't see drinking tea (or not drinking) is a big deal!
Finally if you fall sick, don't just drink green tea, please consult your Physicians ! Cheers....!